Thursday, July 16, 2015

Couch 2 5k Adventure

Okay, so I started running. I started the Couch 2 5K and I'm on week 4 but have done week 3 twice. First I will say that it has not been as bad as I thought it would be. At first I hated it but it helps to have a friend to keep me motivated. I'm okay once I get started but it's the getting started that is a challenge. We've been running in the evening after work and has been HOT. Oklahoma summers are no joke and I think I have sweat more than I ever have in my life but it has been amazing. Let's recap my first 4 weeks...
Week 1 was rough. My feet hurt, my legs hurt, I was sweating like a crazy person, my breathing was off, it was HOT. In fact I didn't want to do it at all. I was thinking of how hard it was going to be the entire time and I even told myself that I was an absolute crazy person. Mind you, I was only going Tuesday and Thursday evenings.
Week 2 got a little bit easier. I could breath better and each step didn't hurt as badly. I wouldn't say I was enjoying it but I didn't hate it as much as I did the week before.
Week 3 was also easier to breath but the runs started getting longer and that was another challenge. By this time I had gotten use to heat a little more and I started focusing on finishing. I also realized that I was enjoying myself.
Week 4 we decided to do week 3 over and not move on with the app. We aren't in a hurry and week 3 has 9 minutes of running, so why not? We also stepped up and started going 3 days a week. We switched our runs to Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings and get this we added Tuesday evening as well (we only walked).
I'm a beginner but I have always loved running. All my adult life I have turned to running to lose weight but I also got lazy and never kept it up. Or I would lose what I wanted and then think to myself that I didn't have to anymore. The funny thing about this mentality was that I would always end up in the same place I started. Bad habits would creep back up, I would start eating junk, not drinking enough water, etc.
How is this time different? Honestly I don't know that it is other than I am doing it for my health instead of weight loss. I finally am starting to be okay with my body and I'm happy in my life. I have an amazing husband who loves me curves and all, 4 perfect kids that like to camp out in my ass (I can't turn around without bumping onto one of them), and family and friends that love me for me. I can't remember a time in my life when I actually let myself be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment